Features and key aspects in the functioning of one of the most popular play-to-earn games. How to make money while playing it?
What is Axie Infinity?
Axie Infinity is one of the most popular play-to-earn (P2E) games. It is emblematic of a movement that blends gaming entertainment with decentralized finance.
This type of video game rewards players with digital assets based on their progress, skills, and loyalty. These rewards are NFTs or cryptocurrencies, which users can then exchange for money.
In terms of gameplay, Axie Infinity is a community of pets that fight, explore, and breed.
While its design has the style of Pokémon releases and is attractive to children, it is a title for over 18s due to the mentioned financial asset link and the requirement to have an electronic wallet.
Who is the founder of Axie Infinity?
The Axie Infinity game was developed by the Vietnamese game studio Sky Mavis, founded in 2018.
The development received a significant boost at the end of 2019, when the aforementioned game studio received $1.5 million in a funding round to accelerate and scale the project.
How does Axie Infinity work?
Here are the pillars in the functioning of Axie Infinity:
- It is an online video game, although it is also possible to play against the computer.
- It is based on the blockchain and its decentralized philosophy.
- Two Ethereum-based cryptocurrencies are used: AXS and SLP.
- As we mentioned, the differentiating proposition of Axie Infinity lies in the rewards to the players with these tokens.
More features of Axie Infinity
The Axies video game is complex, based on the various features it offers. Here are more details of the video game from Sky Mavis.
- In addition to buying Axies, players can purchase virtual lands.
- The game has a similar proposal to Pokémon games.
- Each Axie has its own characteristics: abilities, health levels, roles, etc., which are expressed in cards.
How profitable is Axie Infinity?
The profitability of Axie Infinity varies according to each user’s skills and the time dedicated to the game, among other variables.
At this point, it’s interesting to know about the Scholars in Axie Infinity. What is it about? Look.
They are investors who delegate the management of their accounts to other players, known as “scholars.” These players play for a while and are paid a percentage. So, Axie Infinity also allows for passive income.
What currency does Axie Infinity give you?
The virtual currencies used in Axie Infinity are AXS (Axie Infinity Shards) and SLP (Smooth Love Potion). As we mentioned, both are based on the Ethereum network.
The SLP asset is earned by playing in PvP or PvE modes (details later in this article) and completing daily missions. It’s an unlimited resource, necessary for breeding Axies.
On the other hand, the AXS asset is limited. There are 270,000,000, no more, no less. Possession means decision-making power in the game. In the following link, it is possible to consult the AXS currency quotation in real-time.
Furthermore, the Sky Mavis studio developed its own wallet, called Ronin. Once linked to the game, it is possible to buy Axies, the virtual characters of the game that are also assets.
One of the secrets of the success of this P2E title is that players can exchange the rewards obtained in the digital adventure for money.
How to play Axie Infinity?
Axie Infinity offers a unique way to reward players for their time, making it a leader in the play-to-earn movement.
How to use Axie Infinity? Let’s look at some details of the game’s mechanics, which involve aspects of decentralized platform investments.
- To start playing, you need to buy three Axies, the characters in this game.
- Each Axie has its price, which varies according to its abilities, as well as supply and demand.
- The operation is done with the digital currency Ether.
- You need to have an account on MetaMask, another account on Ronin Wallet and also in the game itself, from the Axie Infinity official website.
- As mentioned, it is also possible to be funded by a Scholar, who acts as an investor and not as a player.
- The adventure consists of fighting against other players, taking care of Axies creatures, and reproducing them.
- As you progress, you receive AXS and SLP as a reward.
There are two game modes in Axie Infinity, one consisting of fights against other users and the other against the machine.
- The PvP mode or “Arena” pits the players of the game against each other with pairings based on their history and experience.
- In the PvE mode or “Adventure,” the player battles with their Axies against non-player characters (NPCs).
Beyond the possible earnings and the perception of Axie Infinity as an investment, the game consists of attacking opponents with the skills described by the cards. In this sense, it is a strategy title: the winner is the player who has the Axie that remains standing in the end.
Before ending, we shed light on a frequent doubt: is it necessary to invest a lot of money to play Axie Infinity?
While it is necessary to buy three Axies to play this game, as mentioned, the initial investment can be high, moderate or even zero.
If you’ve been paying attention, you’ll remember that each character in the game has different prices (in Ether). Besides, we’ve seen that there is a way to play the game through scholarships and receive a percentage of the investment that someone else made.
In Play-to-earn Video Games: What are they, what are their features and how to start, you can learn more about this movement, as well as examples of releases accompanying Axie Infinity in this new way of playing and winning.